Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Up to date: SLICE OF LIFE

Today I got to do my very first read aloud! I walked into the classroom super nervous (I always get nervous talking in front of people) but I have the most encouraging cooperative teacher. When I say I am blessed to have such an amazing cooperative teacher I mean I am BLESSED!!!! Anyways, I chose to read the book "It Came in the Mail" by Ben Clanton (uh, he rocks)! We focused on the character's feelings, how the character's feelings changed through out the book, and we related the book to our own lives which we found is sharing. This is a kindergarten class so the topic of sharing is such a hot topic. We even wrote down and figured out ways we can share better in our classroom and decided that sharing makes us feel "joyful"! That's right, JOYFUL! The children came up with that word on their own! I was shocked! I thought the only emotions they would get from the book is sad and happy. Boy, was I wrong! These kids are so smart and full of great ideas when you let them speak. Overall, the read aloud went awesome and I can't wait to get to do another one!















Have a great week,


14 comments:

  1. Kori, I love reading your post about your first read aloud. It's so true that providing time to talk after a read aloud will bring out the best ideas, often even more than the teacher thought of on his or hew own. I love hearing from new teachers in this space. Best of luck with your intern experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome about your read aloud. I admit I am nervous to do mine in a couple of weeks but I am also excited. I'm hoping I can make a great connection the way you did with your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, you got this! You are going to have so much fun! Excited to hear how yours went! :)

      Delete
  3. This is so cool. My teacher has let me do read-alouds about three times already. It is not bad, but can be a handful when 22 kindergartners are squirming lol. I love my cooperative teacher; she has given me such great advice and is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirming kindergarteners are so tough yet lovable lol!!!

      Delete
  4. I love the joy and delight in your post and look forward to reading more of your slices! Your words transported me back twenty years to my own student teaching experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much! I hope to connect with you and all of your experience!!!

      Delete
  5. I have been teaching for 21 years and reading to my students is still my favorite thing to do during the day. It is something I won't compromise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that your first experience was so positive and "joyful!" Young children always surprise me with their pure and simple insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that your read aloud went well!!! I am pretty nervous to do mine soon but this made me a little less nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got this!!! You are gonna have a ton of fun! I hope to hear how yours went girl! :)

      Delete
  8. Read Aloud has always been my favorite. :-) That's a great book - and you are right -- Kindergarteners are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so amazing how much children can really surprise us with what they know. When we think we have them figured out they totally surprise us again. I'm glad you had a great experience today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Read aloud can be magical. I am glad your first experience was wonderful and the students surprised you with their thinking.

    ReplyDelete