Tuesday, October 17, 2017

*NEW*: Slice of Life

Today I learned how quickly a tiny human can impact not only your life but the mood of your entire day. It was a normal day, starting with phonics and working up to recess but as an intern I look forward to lunch time (okay that sounds bad but keep reading)... I enjoy lunch time with the students because I monitor them and help them open difficult things to open (another side note: I spill EVERYTHING!!!!). During this time I get to freely talk to them about anything they bring up. One brought up the fact that his cookies were from a bakery and another brought up how their mom packed leftovers from dinner that he haaaaated. I even hear about their weekends. However, today one special little boy and girl told me "you are the best teacher Miss. Dickie". I thought to myself "I'm not even a teacher yet"... but I took the compliment with a great big "you are so sweet, thank you" and moved along on my day. As I am sitting here right now that comment is floating around my head and I can not help but smile. I realized that at the beginning of my day I was in a "bleh" mood and from lunch on I have been in a fabulous mood and I KNOW it was because of that comment. Those precious angels amaze me everyday!!!

XOXO,

3 comments:

  1. you're gonna be a great teacher just like you're a great friend!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you may not be officially certified or have that diploma yet, but you teach, does that not make you a TEACHer? The littles tell it like it is, to them a teacher has nothing to do with pieces of paper but instead has everything to do with actions! Keep on teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The work you do as an intern is vital to establishing a teaching philosophy. Listening to students' stories demonstrates the first phase of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I try to remind myself of something Carol Jago often says: "Talk less. Listen more." I suspect this is a reason your students say you're the best teacher. Students send signals about their learning that good teachers notice.

    It's true that students have no knowledge of the deep learning that goes into earning a teaching license, particularly for those who study both pedagogy and content. However, there are forces that undermine teaching as a profession. They do this through alternative certification that allows individuals w/ no formal training or intern hours to stand before students and call themselves "teacher." Your internship show a commitment to teaching as a profession and not simply a job.

    ReplyDelete